Lysine Aid for Cats - 50ml
L-Lysine Supplement for the management of Feline Herpes (FHV-1) in kittens and cats Lysine administration has been shown to inhibit replication of the Feline Herpes Virus (FHV-1) and can be used in the management of FHV-1 infection
Lysine Aid is a very palatable and easy to give gel specifically for cats. Feline rhinotracheitis virus (feline herpesvirus type 1 or FHV-1) causes acute respiratory illness known as rhinotracheitis (or feline herpesvirus infection). The virus affects domestic and wild cats worldwide. FHV-1 is the most common viral infection affecting cats with an estimated incidence of FHV-1 of 50% of household cats.
FHV-1 Feline rhinotracteitis virus
Cats of all ages and breeds are susceptible, although it is more common in the following:
• Kittens, especially those born to infected mothers
• Multi-cat households, catteries and pet adoption shelters, especially those with:
• Physical (e.g., temperature) or psychological (e.g., introduction of a new cat) stressors
• Poor nutrition, Poor sanitation and Poor ventilation
• Pregnant cats that are lactating
• Sick cats (especially sickness associated with a weakened immune system or other respiratory infection)
• Unvaccinated cats Management Vaccinations are available for these viruses, and although not 100% effective in preventing disease, the vaccine can reduce the severity of the “flu” and make it less likely to be passed on to other cats. Antibiotics are used to prevent secondary bacterial infections. Some veterinarians have found success with Interferon, which helps to boost the immune system. L-Lysine : Positive results have also been found with the administration of L-Lysine in a dosage of 250-500 mg twice a day. It has also been shown that L-Lysine supplementation in cats limits the intensity of both virus shedding and clinical signs of herpes virus infection
Mode of Action
L-Lysine is an amino acid which is naturally present in proteins and can play a key role in the management of herpesvirus infection. It has been shown that during replication of feline herpesvirus an increase in L-Lysine levels has inhibiting effects on the virus, as it competes with arginine (another amino acid) in the replication process.
50ml Salmon flavoured gel with oral measurements for ease of use. LysineAid is a very palatable and easy to give gel specifically for cats. Feeding Recommendations For cats give 2ml twice daily. For kittens give 1ml twice daily for one week before periods of stress and for at least 2 weeks afterwards. LysineAid should be given during periods of stress. Give as soon as possible for best results. Apply to cat’s paw or add to food: 1 Pump = 2ml
• Ensure good hygienic practises are followed in the cattery • Isolate newborn kittens until vaccination is effective • Institute a regular vaccination programme Special attention should be paid to nutrition with URI-infected cats. Because of nasal stuffiness, they may not be able to smell their food, and refuse to eat. Sometimes warming the food a bit will increase the odour and entice the cat to eat. Dehydration can be a real problem, so moist foods may be best for the cat under treatment, as well as water given by eye-dropper, if necessary.
Lysine Aid - 50ml